Monday, May 23, 2011

beginning of the end.

Today was the first day of my last week in Liberia. I fly back to the states on Sunday, and I am not at all ready to go.

The goodbyes started today, and will continue throughout the week. Many Samaritan's Purse employees have projects in the bush, and are always traveling up country for days and weeks at a time. Joni heads up tomorrow and won't return until Monday, so today was the last time I'll see her....for who knows how long.

That's the hardest part about saying goodbye in this situation; not knowing how long you're saying goodbye for. As long as you and your far-away friend are both in the United States, planes, trains, and automobiles can easily get you together. But when cross-continental travel, thousand dollar airfare and visas are required, planning a trip to see your pals gets complicated. I'm hoping that seeing my friends here again is a matter of "when" and not "if," but realisticaly, this week might very well be the last time I ever see some of them.

In three and a half months they have gone from co-workers to friends and friends to family. And as excited as I am to see my family back home, I am very sad to leave behind the one I found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment