Saturday, May 7, 2011

graduation day.

Today, the majority of my friends graduated from college- and I couldn't be more proud of all the 2011 grads! Way to hang in there for that final semester.

During their final semester, through the miracle of Facebook, I've watched my friends live out their last months of college without me. While I love staying updated on what they've been doing, there have definitely been times when I've felt left out, too.

The majority of my friends will remember May 7, 2011, as the day they graduated from college. I, however, will remember today for a different reason; not as the day my friends all graduated and I didn't, but as the day I drove a girl named Alberta to a country named Sierra Leone.

As my Ball State classmates slept this morning, I drove to Harbel to pick up Alberta and her grandmother. As my classmates flipped their tassels, I waved goodbye, possibly seeing them for the last time.

I am sad that I won't be able to take part in the graduation festivities this weekend, but at the same time, I am happy with my decision to be here this semester, and I am excited to celebrate with all my friends when I get back!

2 comments:

  1. You have lots to celebrate and lots to look forward to! Happy Birthday! Happy Graduation (in absentia) - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you are there making a difference and having one of the most incredible experiences of ever! I am sitting here in AZ bored & frustrated watching all of my friends graduate/party/celebrate when I am still writing papers and studying for finals and trying to come to terms with the fact that I have summer school and school next year...

    ReplyDelete